According to research, approximately 52% of all moves are for people over the age of 50. Moving can be very stressful, difficult, and overwhelming, especially for seniors. Therefore, we are offering a moving service for seniors to take the stress out of the moving process.
As a professional moving company, we know that senior moving is not just “relocating”, but involves many other tasks such as moving heavy furniture, unpacking, or organizing. Our friendly and experienced team is working hard to offer a positive moving experience to seniors. Moreover, our insured and fully licensed movers come with a clean truck and moving equipment needed to fulfill their responsibilities.
Most seniors probably moved their houses or apartments a long time ago. Therefore, the relocation process can seem stressful and they will need assistance. In this blog, we will share some advice for seniors who are planning to relocate soon and don’t want to stress out.
Prepare a downsizing and moving checklist beforehand
It is worth highlighting that early planning is the key to success! In this section, we will share with you all the situations that you can face during your move. It will be easy if you divide tasks beginning two months earlier of your relocation.
Two months before
- You should acquire a floor plan for your new house or apartment.
- You should decide which furniture is necessary for you and choose them beforehand.
- Additionally, if you are relocating to a smaller house or apartment, you should downsize your belongings.
- One of the important things before your move is to research relocation services and movers and compare the offered prices.
One month before
- It is crucial to choose a moving company and book it one month before.
- If you will pack everything yourself, you should begin packing small items already.
- You can contact and ask for assistance from your family member or a senior moving specialist whenever you need it.
- For terminating utilities in the house you should contact relevant bodies.
- If you have a bank account, you should notify them of the new address of your home.
Two weeks before
- If you pick a moving company, you should confirm a moving date with the movers.
- You should also check if you need to feel any prescriptions or not.
- We also advise you to take pictures of furniture and other belongings for insurance purposes.
One week before
- If you pack your belongings yourself, then you should begin to pack your remaining belongings.
- You should pack essential and important things that you need for the first days at your new home together.
- You should make a timetable for your moving day.
- For seniors, it is important to plan their meals for moving day.
- It is also important to check if the utilities are available and working in a new place.
- You should control movers to see that nothing is left in the old house or apartment.
- If there are bulky and heavy things you can get help for lifting them.
- One night before the move, you should get enough sleep.
Downsize your belongings
If you are moving to a smaller apartment from a larger house, you should reduce some of your things and household items. Downsizing can be a long, stressful, and exhausting process. It is very normal to feel attached to the belongings that you are using for years. Therefore, you should categorize each of them for keeping, selling, or donating. Additionally, if you have any trouble downsizing your household items, you can always ask for assistance from family members.
Acquire a floor plan of your new space
Getting accurate measures will help you to know how much room you will have for your current belongings. The floor plan will tell you to reduce or downsize your items to only what will fit in your new house or apartment. In this way, you will be able to plan how to decorate your home in advance.
Pack big stuff first
When you choose what things to move to your new home, you should start with the bulkiest and largest items such as a sofa, chair, table, or dresser. These belongings will cover the biggest space and you will be able to identify how many items you can move alongside.
Compare the prices of local moving services
Moving services can be pricey, but we as a Shark Moving company offer senior discounts for senior moving. We also advise you to read all reviews and feedback and consider referrals. Always choose a moving company that offers you insurance in case of loss and damage to your belongings.
Take into consideration your limits
As we mentioned several times, moving is very stressful and exhausting work, so you should always know how much you can handle. You should start packing at least two weeks before the moving day and work a little bit each day. For loading and unloading boxes, you can recruit professional movers or ask family members to help you.
Technology will help you
If you have a smartphone with a camera, you can take a photo of your home and arrange it there. With the help of this photo, you can design your new home again just the way you like and you will feel less stressed and homesick. For TVs and connected devices, it is especially important and helpful. From the photo, you can see how they are plugged in so you can refer to them when you are setting up in your new home.
Pack a suitcase with essential belongings
Last but not least, it is advisable to prepare luggage with essential items that you will need for the first days because unpacking can take several days. You should include clothes, medicine, and toilet paper. If you have a place you can pack a set of dishes, and some clean sheets as well.